Marshalltown Municipal Airport has not felt the same financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic as other organizations or businesses.
Corporate and private travel has continued in Marshalltown without much impediment.
“We still have corporate airplanes traveling to get business done,” said Stephen Valbracht, Marshalltown airport manager and Marshalltown Aviation co-owner. “We’ve seen minimal impact.”
The COVID-19 pandemic has not helped the airport’s industry at all.
“The good news is we haven’t seen a dramatic impact to private travel because of COVID,” Valbracht said. “We’re employing all of the industry best practices for handling passengers and visitors to the airport. All of the best practices are being used.”
The airplanes at the airport actually enjoyed a lower fuel price which was triggered by the drop in oil prices.
“It helped them service the local agriculture community,” Valbracht said.
The CARES Act helped keep this level at the Marshalltown airport as well.
“Especially considering we’re going into a construction project,” Valbracht said.
The City of Marshalltown owns the facility, and recently the city council approved the construction of a hanger and vault.
The Federal Aviation Association and Iowa Department Of Transportation covered 45 percent of the funding for the project. The other 55 percent came from the city resulting in the city borrowing approximately $1.7 million in general obligation bonds.
The total cost for the hangar, terminal, site and vault is estimated at $3.1 million.
“We started the process about five or seven years ago,” Valbracht said. “We’re getting the final stages.”
Construction on the project should begin this coming fall or next spring.
“We’re doing about the same as we were last year around this time,” Valbracht said. “It’s been business as usual.”
Contact Thomas Nelson at 641-753-6611 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox