For more coverage, visit our complete coronavirus section here.
After a brief closure last month, Cole Valley’s popular brunch spot Zazie will reopen and resume take-out orders starting Tuesday morning.
Zazie made the announcement on its website and Instagram, where it said it would be back for take-out and curbside pickup. Zazie’s return was made possible after its paycheck protection program loan had arrived, Eater reported.
Jennifer Piallat, who has co-owned Zazie with longtime general manager Mario Rojas, chef Francisco Romero, and server Megan Cornelius since January, told Eater in April that the temporary closure had resulted in a significant sale loss amid shelter-in-place orders.
At the time of the closure, Piallat told Eater that before the no-dine-in mandate Zazie was making anywhere from $100,000 to $110,000 a week. But sales took a nosedive when take-out only was implemented and left the businesses with an average $25,000 a week.
With low sales and high rent costs, health insurance bills and payroll, the business had no choice but to close.
“I’ve already put over $100,000 into Zazie over five weeks, and this week was going to need another $30,000,” Piallat told Eater in April. Piallat explained that in order to get the $100,000 she invested in her business, she had to sell her life insurance policy, max out her home equity loan and use savings from her 401K.
When the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) launched in April 3, Zazie had applied for the small business loan and was approved. Despite its approval, the restaurant didn’t receive funds as the $350 billion the government had put aside ran out on April 16.
Piallat told Eater that if “more funds are allotted, we should be first in line.” A second $310 billion PPP was passed later in the month.
Zazie is located at 941 Cole St.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:
Sign up for ‘The Daily’ newsletter for the latest on coronavirus here.